Monday, September 15, 2008

Crystal Beach Hurricane Damage

As many of you know, my family has been anchored in Crystal Beach. I've owned property there since 1993, and my parents and brother relocated there soon in early 2001.

Our saga began on Friday at 2:00, when I got a phone call from a beach house neighbor that Doug had fallen 14 feet off a ladder as he was finishing putting up the storm boards over the windows at our beach house. He was taken by ambulance to UTMB, where after many tests, it was determined that he was able to be released. He's still immobile, but in one piece. Because Doug was now enroute to the hospital, my Yukon remained in Crystal Beach. We did have a friend come and get the car and move it to High Island, but we have yet to hear from that friend about his well being, let alone whether my Yukon made it through the storm surge. We're still waiting on that one.

Click here for images of what once was, use the BACK button to navigate back to the blog.

Doug and Sandee's House

Mike's House (my brother)

Mom and Dad's House (the only one standing)

More later as we get updates.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Sandra. I know that has to be hard, especially with all the time your family spent there and all the memories that you shared there. Your family is in my prayers. -Jennifer Crow

Darla said...

thanks for letting us know. I had sent you a message on facebook asking. I was very concerned about the very thing you mentioned about Doug. We were here trying to board up a one story and had our problems and saw many people on ladders. I hope he recovers and all is well with him. I am VERY VERY sorry for this loss. Yes, so many precious memories.....

Richard said...

I very sorry for your loss. Hopefully Doug is ok. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.
Richard

Angela Sonnier said...

I'm so sorry that this happened. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Rocking RS said...

Sandra,
I am so sorry for your family's loss. I can't imagine what it must feel like to lose something so precious as a home as well as all the memories it holds. My prayers are with you. Yes, the Lord giveth and takes away, but many times he gives back 10x more than you ever expected. I wish that for your family!

Anonymous said...

We've had your family in our thoughts and prayers throughout this whole Ike ordeal. As fellow Bolivar Beach Junkies, I have complete faith that you will spend quality family time there again! Thanks for sharing your blog.

JLangston said...

I'm so, so sorry about your house! What a terrible loss! I hope Doug makes a full and speedy recovery and that your Yukon survived the storm. It's so sad to see everything wiped out in one night. Another reminder of nature's power. Very, very sad. I'm so sorry!

Anonymous said...

Sandra
My prayers are with you and your family.
Lisa