Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer...and Temperature..It's all Relative


We went back to Goose Lake yesterday...and lo and behold there was a school load of kids there all wearing swimming attire. What did I have on? A tank top....and then TWO sweatshirts over that. The difference here is that these kiddos are from Alaska....and I'm now acclimated to Texas 100 degree heat.

The kids were doing all the same things we would do if we were to visit the beach...creating sand sculptures, swimming with BIKINIS on...and feeding the wildlife (slugs in the water and ducks on the land).

During the mid afternoon an older couple came with a blanket, two lawn chairs, and various and other beach going accouterments. They positioned themselves farther down the lakeside, spread out their blanket, and proceeded to take off their shoes, and roll up their pant legs, all the while keeping every other part of their body covered with sweaters and jackets. So I know it wasn't just me...however, they sat in their lawn chairs, with their lower legs exposed and leisurely read their books. It was kind of cute.

What this all means is that it's SUMMER in Anchorage! Get outside while you can! Wear those summer clothes! Go swimming! Oh how well I remember coming to Anchorage in the spring and wearing sleevless shirts and shorts (and shivering).

So...summer and temperature are all relative. Anchorage is enjoying their summer, albeit a little cold by Texas standards...as I remain dressed for winter ( Texas style).

1 comments:

Stacie Boudrie said...

LOL - seriously, 53.7 degrees? That's crazy! You are so right about the weather and being relative...When I go to MI they give me a hard time about what a wuss I am. I always think...come to TX baby...come to TX...then we'll talk! HA If you are still up there, enjoy the rest of your vacation!