Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Who says man cannot live by bread alone?


Today we went back into Anchorage to take Kylee back to Goose Lake Park...that was the guise anyway! The real guise was to go back to the Great Harvest Bread Company. Cindee took us there on Friday, touting it's greatness, and hence we brought home three huge loaves of bread, which we finished consuming today. So...we NEEDED more. I've you've ever been to a Great Harvest Bread Store you'll know what I'm talking about.

Great Harvest, as you may know, has one of the great marketing ploys known to man. They to ask you which bread you'd like to try, and then they cut off a great big hunk and shove the butter at you. So, as you're munching you're also buying...pretty effective I'd say.

As we were happily munching...we too here happily buying (7 loaves!). Cindee was protecting her loaf of cinnamon roll bread, as was Kylee. Layni bought Chugach Rustic, a very tasty sourdough, and me? Just your average Honey White.

As we arrived home, I decided to put two loaves into the freezer to put in my suitcase to take back to Texas..YUM! And then thought to myself..."I wonder if Great Harvest has a website?"
Lo and behold not only does Great Harvest have a web presence, they are a CHAIN!

My sister is totally against patronizing any business that's a chain. We haven't been able to eat at any chain restaurant...or shop at any store that is not locally owned. In fact, Kylee was begging to go to Wal-Mart today...and Cindee said NO!

The look on my sister's face when I announced that news!! We had been patronizing a store she thought was a local legend! Poor Cindee.

Oh well. Chain or no chain. Great Harvest Bread Company has my vote. (TEE HEE! We got one over on Cindee!)


1 comments:

Debbie Huber said...

Thanks for your kind words about our bread. Great Harvest is a franchise (so there are more than a couple stores), but I don't know that we really fit the definition of a "chain." Each store is owned by local people who are active in the store operation. The Anchorage store is owned by Dirk Sisson and you can find him there almost any day (unless he's off hiking a mountain or floating a river in Alaska.)Hope this doesn't cause any family feuds:-)
Debbie Huber
Great Harvest
debbieh@greatharvest.com