Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yesterday was the Nulukatuk



A Nalukatuk is the celebration of catching whales. You go to a specific place and you pray, then people sing. Then people serve duck soup, bread, and Eskimo donuts. Then the people throw candy for the little kids.


After that, it gets boring because you’re just supposed to sit there until they all run out of food. (I knew I should have brought my I-pod.) We sat on wood with a tarp that kept the wind from us, which made my white pants become brownish gray. We decided to come back for the blanket toss. We all came back at 7 but the blanket wasn’t up yet so all the little kids came in and out of the tarp. Then the blanket was up then down then up then down again. Then finally it was up, up to your eyes I would say. It was awesome.


Old people would get on it with bags filled with candy and rip a hole in it and send the candy flying. Me and everyone would scavenge to the ground for the candy. After about 5 times of that anyone was able to go on.


I was the 4th to go on. I went the highest. It was hard to go back down because the blanket was doing the worm and you were supposed to balance on it and go back up. I only did it 3 times. Then we went home. There’s another one tomorrow I’m gonna do Eskimo dancing too. Talk to ya then. Layni

2 comments:

Sandra said...

What I thought was interesting in doing some research was that the original purpose of the blanket toss was to allow hunters to spot game! Cool! It is said that people who are "good" at the blanket toss can go as high as 20 feet in the air!

klilly said...

How is duck soup? Sounds good... Is your next adventure going whale hunting. Now that would be something. I am glad that you were able to see a polar bear and live to tell about it.